Monday, August 6, 2012

Check it out! At your local library :)


 A few weeks ago I had the idea to do some deeper beauty research using books at the library.  I spend way too much time on the computer and thought it would be amazing to be able to take a beauty book with me to work to read on my lunch break.

That's right there are some pretty amazing beauty books at the library.  Who would've thunk it?  Some of the books are more dated and have some older trends, but it you look at the second or third page on the left with all the writing you can find the copyright date.  The two books that I got that focused more on beauty trends and what's on shelves right now I tried to stick to less than three years old with.  The other book that was about beauty practices in Malaysia I did not worry about the copyright date because these are centuries old secrets and practices.

The Best in Beauty book was by Riku Campo who is a makeup artist.  The book featured advise from various experts in dermatology, esthetics, hair color, etc.  I really liked reading this book.  It contained a lot of great tips and information.  I will probably be reading it again and taking notes.

The next book was by Paula Begoun (the cosmetics cop).  The book is an amazing encyclopedia of her reviews of almost all of the cosmetic products out there on the market.  I think the book is a great idea and could be very helpful.  I did not agree with a lot of her reviews though.  There were some products that I absolutely love that she rated as just alright and others that she rated as good or superior that I think are pretty crappy products.  It really helped me start to realize how much of reviews and other information on beauty products is just another person's opinion.




The last book I really enjoyed reading.  It is called Health and Beauty from the Rainforest: Malaysian Traditions of Ramuan.  The book was full of treatments from the Malaysian culture.  A lot of floral baths, rice and tumeric scrubs, sauna treatments, and massage.  Even reading the book made me feel more relaxed.  I wanted to eat much more fresh fruit and vegetables and try more D.I.Y. natural treatments for my skin and hair.

The book talked about using coconut oil as a scalp massage to help in hair growth and using coconut milk for hair conditioner.

The traditions and the Malaysian people in the book are so beautiful and serene.  The book also shows how these practices have made their way into many spas.

If you are looking for some new ideas for your beauty routine or some inspiration, I would highly recommend looking for a book at your library.  There are some amazing books out there and it doesn't cost you anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment