Monday, October 19, 2015

Perfection, Comfort Zones, Mistakes



I wanted to write a nice positive post for this Monday about mantras and positive affirmations and being positive with yourself.  Then one of the quotes I was using reminded me of this quote and I really wanted to tie it in too.  We shall see how it goes.

I love this quote because it is so true!  I don't feel like much of being an adult falls into my comfort zone.  I still feel like a kid faking my way through most days.  Being an adult is so much better than being a kid though in so many ways!  Yes, I had a lot less to worry about back then (comfort zone) but I can do so much more now and have so much more too.  One example: being a parent is much harder than playing with my dollies ever was, but it is also infinitely more fun and rewarding. :)

I feel like there are so many things that we do in our lives that are stressful because we are worried about making mistakes.  Most things that are outside of our comfort zone are outside of it because we are highly likely to make mistakes doing those things.

This blog is something that is very outside of my comfort zone.  If I compare myself, or this blog to other bloggers or youtubers and their blogs, I start to feel very insecure.  But if I choose to just look at my blog and how far it has come, I feel pretty proud of what I have accomplished.

The point I would like to make with this post, is that we aren't perfect.  None of us are and we aren't going to be anytime soon.  But we can decide to still do things that make us uncomfortable, we can see the progress that we make and enjoy the journey.

This all started with a quote from Taylor Swift that she has been sharing at her concerts.  The quote focuses on not tearing ourselves down, and realizing that mistakes make us wiser.  I love this idea because we are all going to make mistakes.  If we are too afraid of making them then we won't take any risks.  Realizing instead that they are something that we learn from is empowering.

I feel like these lines from Taylor's speech might say what I am trying to say, so much better than I can:

"You need to look into the mirror in the morning and not tell yourself that you're not special or you're not good enough, or you're not pretty, or you're not awesome.

I'm going to tell you right now the things you actually are not.

These are things you really are not:
You are not the opinion of somebody who doesn't know you.
You are not damaged goods just because you have made mistakes in your life.
You are not going nowhere just because you haven't gone where you want to go yet.
Those are things you actually are not.

Now I want to tell you what you are.

You are your own definition of beautiful and worthwhile, that's what you are.
You are someone who is wiser because you have made mistakes--not damaged--wiser.

You know it's not about perfection. It's about just getting on with things sometimes.  Sometimes you just get credit for getting up and going on with things, and you don't have to do it perfectly."


You can watch the whole video and probably get even more out of her speech.  These were just my favorite parts that I wanted to share :)



Thanks for reading!  Have a great Monday!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment